Benjamin Fritz wrote:
> I like the proposed improvements to the tip template, but I'm
> a little wary about a tip template for new tips. How exactly
> do you propose that that would work?

I don't have a precise plan at this stage. Originally, we
weren't going to attempt to maintain a tip number for new tips.
Maybe we won't. But it occurred to me that it would be quite
easy to manually assign tip ids, and then we would have a simple
and permanent way to refer to a tip. And we could have tip
navigation (Previous/Next) working easily if we had an id.

I have various Python scripts that can download all the VimTip
imported tips, and can upload changes (I'll post these somewhere
when they have stabilised). I hope that soon I will extend them
to download everything, including new tips. When I can do that,
it would be very easy to detect which tips do not have a tip
template.

> From what I understand, any tips we want to keep would be
> given this template. But what about tips that don't get
> reviewed within the time period you suggest? Do they just get
> deleted?

Naturally we wouldn't delete anything without a lot of
consensus. I haven't looked at the new tips, other than to check
if any are spam. There was one new tip I spent quite a bit of
time complaining about here because the tip was just a link to a
personal web site, and that web site had very little of interest
for Vim users. The matter was resolved by the tip author copying
the content of the tip to the wiki.

So I think we would want to have a review process where we
consider which new tips we want to become permanent. I'm
vaguely thinking that I would post a wiki page with links to the
new tips, and we could discuss them on that page, or here (here
would suit me). I don't think there would be much controversy.
But, for example, if a tip is just an unhelpful link, or is a
duplicate of existing material, we might want to put the tip in
a "review" status, rather than just automatically assigning it a
tip number. Maybe {{ReviewNewTip}}. If we agreed, we might
delete some of those.

> Is there a way to automatically insert the review template, or
> would we need to detect the absence of a tip template?

I don't think we can automatically insert a review template, or
detect the absence of a tip template. The following helps:

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Uncategorizedpages

However, I hope to just download all tips every couple of weeks,
then detect missing templates from local files.

John