On 2/19/08, John Beckett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Benjamin Fritz wrote:
> > The link in the sidebar on the wiki for "Categories" links to
> > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Browse. On this category
> > page, Category:Browse is described as the "root" category,
> > but I have been unable to access any of our tip categories
> > from this "root" category every time I try.
>
> Can you spell out what the problem is?
>
> For me, it seems to work fine:
> - Click 'Categories' in sidebar.
> - See Category:Browse page.
> - Click the '+' next to the VimTip category.
> - See expanded list of subcategories.
> - Click (for example) '+' next to Usage subcategory.
> - Click Searching to see pages in Category:Searching.
>
> Expanding the '+' only works with Javascript enabled.
>
> The text on Category:Browse should be improved to provide an overview of the
> idea and a few hints.
>
> > I propose directly naming Browse as the parent category for
> > all our top-level tip categories (Usage, Integration, etc.).
> > Currently, the parent is listed as VimTip, but if these
> > category pages show up among the thousands of tip pages, I
> > haven't been able to find them. Any thoughts? If I don't get
> > any feedback in a few days, I'll probably just start changing
> > parent categories as proposed.
>
> I don't understand the problem. I recommend caution and some pretty
> extensive planning before large scale manipulation of the categories.
>
> I am slowly beginning to understand Categories. One point is that the wiki
> needs pages for admin, and pages for tips, and pages for other stuff. I
> recently added the VimInformation category for a few pages that are neither
> admin nor tips.
>
> If Category:Usage had Browse as its parent, you couldn't tell whether the
> "Usage" referred to usage of Vim, or usage of the wiki, or maybe usage of
> the mailing list. If Metacosm brings many IRC people, maybe we would want a
> usage of IRC category as well, and other things in the future.
>
> I have skipped doing any significant work on categories because a lot of
> serious planning is needed, and I'm not sure how effective that planning
> would be until more wiki experience was gained.
>
> Maybe the Category:Browse talk page could have a large <pre>...</pre>
> section with an ascii-art chart showing a proposed plan. There are a couple
> of things in Browse that perhaps should be elsewhere. Maybe hide Copyright
> and Forums under 'Administration of this site'. I didn't know what to do
> with 'All tips for C family programming', but it should be elsewhere.

I see how that works now...somehow I've never noticed the [+] next to
the subcategories, and have just browsed categories by going to the
subcategory page. VimTip, for some reason, and unlike every other
subcategory, does not list its subcategories on its category page.

I can browse away to my heart's content, now.

Perhaps some explanation is needed on how to browse for unobservant
people like me >_<.