On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 8:13 PM, John Beckett <johnb.beck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any thoughts on the new auto-welcome system Wikia has introduced? We can
> configure the text it uses, and we can disable it (I'm a bit suspicious
> of anything cutsey, and my inclination is to disable it, but maybe I'm
> too curmudgeonly).

I have some thoughts.

My first thought was, "why did it automatiacally use my name for the
welcome post"? I'm ok with that, though you're a bit more active than
I am, John. I wouldn't be adverse to including a few regulars on the
welcome message though. It looks like we need to have SOMEONE sign the
message, so the default @latest should work for that, but we could
link to an "active contributors" page or something in the text.

Secondly, I like the idea in general. We pretty much do it anyway,
with our templated welcome text. I think we should automatically apply
this existing text to any new _registered_ users.

I do think, however, that creating user pages for annonymous users is
just plain stupid. We should disable this particular message.

> Details (also two other new "features"):
> http://www.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:New_features_coming_on_Wednesday

I also think we should disable the "category select", at least until
we can revamp our tip templates. Otherwise it will get confusing where
to put the categories.