On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:11 PM, Angela <bees...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The welcome tool has some new options which you can read about on
> http://vim.wikia.com/index.php?oldid=22402

Thanks, I saw those this morning (before I checked this thread actually).

I've gone ahead and removed the automated greeting for annonymous
users (I doubt most people log in using the same IP more than a few
times, so I don't think it will result in anything but extra work for
us).

I also noticed the new @sysop option in MediaWiki:Welcome-user. I'm
leaning toward using it, but I'm not QUITE sure what it does. To
clarify, with @latest, Wikia janitors, etc. would potentially be the
one to leave the greeting, but with @sysop, only (supposedly) active
members of our own wiki would ever sign the welcome message?

> The colon in [[:$1]] is used so that when someone's edit is to an
> image or category page, it will show a link to that page instead of
> actually displaying the image or placing the page into that category.

Good to know, thanks. I would have missed that!

--
Ben