>> Patch at:
>> http://links.tedpavlic.com/patch/VIM-LaTeX-osx-inverse-search-compiler.patc
>
> I added some documentation for the new options, can you please take a look,
> whether this is correct?
> http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/vim-latex-forward-backard-search.patch

The documentation looks good. However, it's important to note that you
can use *ANY* viewer you want by setting the appropriate variables.

It's also important to note that the ONLY way you can get forward
searching on OS/X is to turn on the "g:TreatMacViewerAsUNIX" flag on and
  provide a UNIX-like ViewRule that accepts the command line syntax:

viewer TARGET_FILE LINE_NUMBER SOURCE_FILE

for example:

skim blah.pdf 28 blah.tex

Finally, something that has not changed (but was not well documented) is
that on Windows and Mac, if you leave your ViewRule EMPTY, the *OS* will
open whatever is associated with that type of file. Again, forward
searching won't work, but \lv'ing will.

> In your blogpost you write that only TeXniscope supports source specials but
> the patch looks like Skim and PDFView support Forward searching, too.

Skim and PDFView support both forward and *INVERSE* searching as long as
you build your document with the pdfsync package.

"Source specials" only exist for DVI files. PDFsync emulates something
LIKE source specials by dumping them into a third file that the other
programs can read.

To get source specials with DVIs, you add "-source-specials" to your
latex build line. To add pdfsync to your PDFs (and DVIs, actually), you
add "\usepackage{pdfsync}" to your TeX source and don't bother changing
anything in your latex build line.

--Ted

--
Ted Pavlic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>