On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 07:36:22PM EDT, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
[...]
> and what is 'textwidth' set to? (Mentioning 'textmode' was a typo on my
> part.)

  textwidth=80
        Last set from modeline

> >Interestingly with the cursor in a LaTeX window ":set verbose
> >formatoptions" does not tell me where the formatoptions are set.. and I
> >also get a verbose=0 and no clue as to where they are set.

.. messed up.. command history tells me I was issuing a:

   :set verbose formatoptions?

(as mentioned above..)

instead of the requested:

   :verbose set formatoptions?

> To know where options are set, you need 'verbose' >= 1, which can be
> done temporarily by prefixing a command with ":verbose". If ":verbose
> set textwidth?" doesn't tell you where 'textwidth' was set, then either
> you set it manually or it was left at its default.

.. yet another useful Vim option that I need to memorize..

> >But what's a lot more interesting - to me at least - is that I am now
> >unable to reproduce the problem.  But then, please keep in mind that I
> >was struggling with Vim keymaps (that wasn't too hard) but also
> >non-ASCII rendering in LaTeX.. (and that was an absolute b*tch..) at the
> >time.. so serendipity allowing - and my ingenuity.. while I was going
> >through this lenghty trial and error process.. I may have done some very
> >strange things that I do not remember and that I do not remember.
> >
> >So I think I have already used up enough of your time for what is
> >either some subtle - or not so subtle - "feature" of the Vim/LaTeX
> >add-on stuff and should just keep an eye open for possible
> >reoccurrences.  If I find something useful, I will update the thread..
> >or start a new one..  maybe to find out that this was a known bug
> >with this older release and has long since been fixed.
> >
> >:-(
>
> Well, if the problem has spontaneouly disappeared, then so much the
> better. If it ever reappears, maybe you'll be better armed to track it down.

I suspect that something else that I did set textwidth to zero.. or did
away with wrap mode..

Since I was doing some copying/pasting via gnu/screen I would suspect I
did a ":set paste" at one point and didn't notice that the "INSERT" at
the bottom of the screen was saying "-- INSERT (lang) (paste) --"
instead of just "-- INSERT (lang) --" .. By then I was getting really
frustrated with LaTeX's lack of short howto type of docs - especially
regarding language packages.. so I may very well have missed that.

I have a feeling it was just a user error and won't occur again.. and if
it does I'll be better equipped .. and in a more relaxed mood.. so I
should be able to address it.

> [...]
> >>If your other applications don't support UTF-8 you will have to do
> >>without the OE and oe digraphs.
> >>
> >Avoid words such as "coeur".. "boeuf".. etc.  Rather amazing that the
> >French who are so picky about anything that concerns their language
> >never came up with a codepage.. or whatever it's called that features
> >this particular character.

[..]
> In HTML you can use Œ and œ -- and, with newer browsers,
> also Œ and œ . I don't know if TeX can do the equivalent
> (print characters not found in the current charset) or how.

I saw in passing that there are indeed symbolics that you can use in
LaTeX to request a character that's missing from the ASCII charset..

> Otherwise, if the digraphs are not available, you can write them as two
> letters (as you did above).
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Thanks