On 9/29/06, Mishra, Vikas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Folks,

I want to be able to use multiple clearcase views with vim (with vim in
the vimserver model). Does any one have any suggestions to work with
these ?

The issue that I am finding is that I start a vimserver outside a
clearcase view - Then I try to invoke vim by using the following command

gvim --servername GVIMSERVER --remote ./lcdc_stn_gs_e.vhd

I get the following message within the vim window -
E344: Can't find directory
"/vobs/omap40_design_gs60/modules/lcdc_core/hdl/rtl" in cdpath
E472: Command failed    `

Now if I try to start the vimserver while in a view, no matter which
view I try to invoke gvim --servername GVIMSERVER --remote from, it
always picks up the view from which gvim was started initially.

Any of you folks have good tips/suggestions about working with clearcase
in a server/client mode ?

When you define new clearcase view, it starts new subshell
and only process which are children of this subshell
see the files belonging to the view, thanks to the clearcase
kernel magic.

It follows that server will not see files from this view.
(At least, definitely not under same filenames as client vim would see.)

If what you want is you use is to edit *many* files
from *one* view in one server-gvim, then the solution is to [re]start this gvim
under the view shell.

But If you want to access files from two different view
in one gvim, then ask your clearcase admin how to access
/view/user.view pathnames; ask your  clearcase admin how to access 2
views without starting subshell. I think the answer for accessing
/view filsystem lies in the domain of the clearcase admin.
You'll need how to find out how to access clearcase view without
starting a subshell.

Yakov