Jürgen Krämer wrote:
  >Suresh Govindachar wrote:
  >> A.J.Mechelynck wrote

  >>>  [comments on using the matchit plugin]
  >>
  >>   % is a feature of Vim -- I am not trying to use % in any
  >>   fancy way, only in the way it is supposed to work under
  >>   regular Vim.  I am reporting a bug in vim (and not looking
  >>   for a work-around based on a plugin).  The bug is that % is
  >>   not ignoring { within c-comments in a c-file.
  >
  > what did lead you to the conclusion that the behaviour of % -- to
  > not ignore matching parentheses inside comments -- is a bug?

    In my past experience, % always ignored { inside c-comments
    for c-files (turns out my cpoptions does not include %).

  > I don't see a place in the help files where % is documented to
  > skip comments. You can only force it to skip strings by removing
  > % from cpoptions (see ":help cpo-%").

    In the steps I gave to reproduce the bug, adding the following:

         :set cpo-=%

    does not make %-jumping skip the { inside comments.  So it is a
    bug in Vim.

  > The text
  >
  >   Does not recognize "/*" and "*/".
  >
  > from this help section does not relate to /* and */ as C style comments,
  > but as potentially matching pairs which are not counted as such if % is
  > included in cpoptions.
  >
  > IMHO ignoring comments while searching for a matching parenthesis might
  > be considered a missing feature, but this can easily -- as Tony wrote --
  > be implemented by sourcing the matchit plugin.

  After adding :set cpo-=% to the steps given in OP to reproduce the bug,
  one sees that there is a bug in Vim.

  --Suresh