>   netrw.vim?[[[1
>
>   ./doc:
>   pi_netrw.txt?[[[1
>
>   ./plugin:
>   netrwPlugin.vim?[[[1
>
>   ./syntax:
>   netrw.vim?[[[1
>   --------------------------
>
> These are the filenames, folding brackets and all! This is with netrw
> 108 JUST downloaded from Dr. Chip's site in the default gVim of the
> Fedora Core 6 distribution. It has dumped it all over my $HOME,
> despite being located in it's own subdirectory. (At least with Cream,
> which follows cwd, it does unpack where the file is.)

This is an example of not following the directions, which state: you need a new
vimball plugin!

* the vimball that comes with 7.0 had bugs
* one of the bugs requires one to completely remove the old vimball (and the
same bug afflicts netrw, too -- you have to completely remote the old netrw)
* then install the new vimball (or netrw)
* the new installation will go to the first writable directory on your
runtimepath, which is generally your personal .vim/ directory
* the vimball is simpler to use than an old zip file (after the buggy one is no
longer afflicting things).

I agree with Tony -- an exe is a dangerous thing to have to expect people to run
.  Perhaps one should have a checksum (md5?) so that people can be assured if
they wish to be that the exe is the one you made.  Pgp signatures would be
good, too.  Of course, that all makes it more difficult to use than simple text
files.

Chip