sun wrote:
The idea of the comment shown above was to leave something to remind you that you had to come back later, since, as you said, you want to leave the indent there "for future use"; also, the comment would be sure to stay in place even if the "bare indent" didn't. But if just adding, let's say, a period, then backspacing over it, makes the indent remain, then you don't have to type a
lengthy comment unless you need it.

You may even try (untested)

       :inoremap       <CR>    <CR>.<BS>

Note: Next time, please use "Reply to all" rather than "Reply to sender",
unless you're straying off-topic.

> Do I need always type a char then <BS>?
> Is there a better solution? I wander whether the vim option can do
> this automatically.

With the mapping above, you don't have to add a character then delete it: you hit the Return key, and Vim (with 'nopaste') maps it to "hit Return, hit dot, hit backspace", i.e., the insertion-deletion game is played automatically whenever you hit Return in Insert mode. What more do you want?

...or at least that's how I think it works.

Speer's 1st Law of Proofreading:
        The visibility of an error is inversely proportional to the
number of times you have looked at it.