>> You may even try (untested)
>>
>>        :inoremap       <CR>    <CR>.<BS>

With the mapping above, you don't have to add a character then delete it: you
hit the Return key, and Vim (with 'nopaste') maps it to "hit Return, hit dot,
hit backspace", i.e., the insertion-deletion game is played automatically
whenever you hit Return in Insert mode. What more do you want?

...or at least that's how I think it works.

o, now I get your point. This mapping indeed inserts the space.
However, I think the disavantage of this way is one has to append all
inserting commands, e.g, o O, with .<BS>.