Hans-Juergen Becker wrote:
Am Samstag, den 05.05.2007, 12:33 +0200 schrieb Christoph Haas:

Selecting a block (Ctrl-V), then pressing I (shift-i) and entering

text

which then gets inserted into all rows of the block at the same

column.

This is one of the features I love when editing DNS zone files.

I've tried to that some time ago, because i though that should work the
way you described it. But it didn't and still doesn't work on my vim, so
i'm quite surprised by your tip :-)

But as it doesn't work: do you have to enable some setting to use that
feature?

I'm using vim version 7.0 on Debian "Lenny".

Thanks,
Hans-Juergen

Which part doesn't work, I presume you can select a block of text with Ctrl-V, I'm just interested as I also find this a very useful feature, but it works for me :-). You also must press I, not i. Just noticed that one thing Christoph didn't write is that you have to press Escape to leave insert mode at the end of the process, has that helped?