I was facing (probably) the same problem - when I hit ctrl-v, I see
text pasted into the vim window just like a regular copy paste. I
tried with escape etc etc... to no avail.

So then I just reinstalled vim and it works fine now...

On retrospection - I think I should have tried ctrl-q - coz that too
does the same thing - not sure what the difference is.

So try this in Vim:

Enter some text on multiple lines.
hit ctrl-q and use hjkl keys to navigate to select text (as vertical columns)
Now hit Shift-i
Enter some characters
Hit Escape
Voila - you should see the characters repeat themselves throughout the
selection.

Thanks,
Anoop

On 5/7/07, Robert Cussons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hans-Juergen Becker wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 05.05.2007, 12:33 +0200 schrieb Christoph Haas:
>
>>Selecting a block (Ctrl-V), then pressing I (shift-i) and entering
>
> text
>
>>which then gets inserted into all rows of the block at the same
>
> column.
>
>>This is one of the features I love when editing DNS zone files.
>

> I've tried to that some time ago, because i though that should work the
> way you described it. But it didn't and still doesn't work on my vim, so
> i'm quite surprised by your tip :-)
>
> But as it doesn't work: do you have to enable some setting to use that
> feature?
>
> I'm using vim version 7.0 on Debian "Lenny".
>
> Thanks,
> Hans-Juergen

Which part doesn't work, I presume you can select a block of text with
Ctrl-V, I'm just interested as I also find this a very useful feature,
but it works for me :-). You also must press I, not i. Just noticed that
one thing Christoph didn't write is that you have to press Escape to
leave insert mode at the end of the process, has that helped?