Matt Wozniski wrote:

> Fixing that to use a script-local variable would definitely be
>a worthwhile change that should be made ASAP, though it still wouldn't
>protect you from plaintext passwords being in your core files.

Yes, I've done that for v116g.

>While we're at it, what is a reasonable use-case for why someone would
>need a getpid() function?  Why would we need to know our PID?

Assuming that I have an encrypt/decrypt function pair, the pid could be
used as a single-session p/w that would be transparent to the user.  I
don't see any point in saving a ftp password but requiring the user to
enter some other password to make the ftp password available.  Such
things as recording the hundredth of a second that vim/gvim started
along with the pid would act as an improved session-only password.

Regards,
Chip Campbell