> My point was that a would-be cracker would have access to both the
> encryption key and the encrypted text.  Using the pid as the key is
> not made more secure by not storing it, since that cracker would also
> have access to the hypothetical getpid() function; it just saves him
> the trouble of accessing a variable to get the key.
>
> ~Matt

I'm not sure the point is really to stop a cracker. If someone has access to
your
terminal with your user privileges and the password is stored, encrypted or
not,
they can get at it, unless decrypting it requires typing a password which
defeats
the point, of course.

Rather, I would think the value in this is more so that if you're working with
somebody else observing and for some reason issue :let or such, your password
doesn't magically appear on the screen in plaintext for all to see. Passwords
usually don't appear on the screen in plaintext as you're typing them, and they
shouldn't be easy to accidentally bring up in plaintext for anyone who happens
be watching to see. To solve the problem, the encryption needn't be strong--it
just needs to be good enough that casual inspection wouldn't reveal it, i.e.
not
just rot13.

Likewise, a plaintext password shouldn't be stored in a session file--better to
store some garbage that can't be decrypted next time, and require the user to
retype the password once per session.

So, far from being an attempt to stop a cracker who has access to your session,
which is a hard kind of cracker to stop, it's more an attempt to stop
accidental
discovery of your password, or to stop yourself accidentally revealing it (e.g.
by
saving a session--who'd have thought that could reveal your password?).

That's my take on it, anyway.

Ben.