Charles E. Campbell, Jr. wrote:
> Matt Wozniski wrote:
>
>> Fixing that to use a script-local variable would definitely be
>> a worthwhile change that should be made ASAP, though it still wouldn't
>> protect you from plaintext passwords being in your core files.
>>

> Yes, I've done that for v116g.
>
>> While we're at it, what is a reasonable use-case for why someone would
>> need a getpid() function?  Why would we need to know our PID?
>>

> Assuming that I have an encrypt/decrypt function pair, the pid could be
> used as a single-session p/w that would be transparent to the user.  I
> don't see any point in saving a ftp password but requiring the user to
> enter some other password to make the ftp password available.  Such
> things as recording the hundredth of a second that vim/gvim started
> along with the pid would act as an improved session-only password.
>
> Regards,
> Chip Campbell

The sequence

        :mks!
        :qa
        gvim -S

would invalidate the password (since the PID changes). I suppose this is what
you want?

Similarly Gnome-enabled versions over closedown/restart of the Gnome or KDE
winmanager.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
                        Get GUMMed
                        --- ------
The Gurus of Unix Meeting of Minds (GUMM) takes place Wednesday, April
1, 2076 (check THAT in your perpetual calendar program), 14 feet above
the ground directly in front of the Milpitas Gumps.  Members will grep
each other by the hand (after intro), yacc a lot, smoke filtered
chroots in pipes, chown with forks, use the wc (unless uuclean), fseek
nice zombie processes, strip, and sleep, but not, we hope, od.  Three
days will be devoted to discussion of the ramifications of whodo.  Two
seconds have been allotted for a complete rundown of all the user-
friendly features of Unix.  Seminars include "Everything You Know is
Wrong", led by Tom Kempson, "Batman or Cat:man?" led by Richie Dennis
"cc C?  Si!  Si!" led by Kerwin Bernighan, and "Document Unix, Are You
Kidding?" led by Jan Yeats.  No Reader Service No. is necessary because
all GUGUs (Gurus of Unix Group of Users) already know everything we
could tell them.
                -- Dr. Dobb's Journal, June '84