On Feb 6, 1:36 am, Tony Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Anand Hariharan wrote:
>
> [...]> Ben says "For every tab, Vim adds a new tab".  It seems counter-
> > intuitive to me considering that my command is *bufdo* tabnew (i.e.,
> > for each *buffer* create a new tab).
>
> [...]
>
> Yes: for each buffer, add a new tab with a new [No Name] buffer in it. So we
> have one more buffer. The result is actually: for each buffer, add a new [No
> Name] buffer. You should have checked ":help :tabnew", it mentions that with
> no argument, it creates a new tab with an empty window.

Yes, it says new _window_, not a new buffer.  In order to make that
extrapolation from new window as to imply new buffer, one needs to
know the following:

> You may have several windows to a single buffer, in the same tab or in
> different tabs, but creating a new "empty" window actually also creates a new
> [No Name] buffer to contain whatever edits you'll make in that "empty" window.

I hope you find it reasonable that one could find the distinction
between tabs, buffers and windows very subtle.

Thank you all for responding.  I suppose, just like the editor itself,
I should let the tab feature 'grow' on me, because (again just like
the editor itself), my first impression has not been very favourable!
<I once swore /at/ vi, but I would now swear /by/ it! ;-)>

- Anand