Anand Hariharan wrote:

> On Feb 6, 1:36 am, Tony Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> Anand Hariharan wrote:
>>
>> [...]> Ben says "For every tab, Vim adds a new tab".  It seems counter-
>>> intuitive to me considering that my command is *bufdo* tabnew (i.e.,
>>> for each *buffer* create a new tab).
>> [...]
>>
>> Yes: for each buffer, add a new tab with a new [No Name] buffer in it. So we
>> have one more buffer. The result is actually: for each buffer, add a new [No
>> Name] buffer. You should have checked ":help :tabnew", it mentions that with
>> no argument, it creates a new tab with an empty window.
>>

> Yes, it says new _window_, not a new buffer.  In order to make that
> extrapolation from new window as to imply new buffer, one needs to
> know the following:
>

>> You may have several windows to a single buffer, in the same tab or in
>> different tabs, but creating a new "empty" window actually also creates a new
>> [No Name] buffer to contain whatever edits you'll make in that "empty"
>> window.
>>

> I hope you find it reasonable that one could find the distinction
> between tabs, buffers and windows very subtle.
>
> Thank you all for responding.  I suppose, just like the editor itself,
> I should let the tab feature 'grow' on me, because (again just like
> the editor itself), my first impression has not been very favourable!
> <I once swore /at/ vi, but I would now swear /by/ it! ;-)>
>
> - Anand

Which windows are open at any moment is rather obvious, at least for the
current tab. (They are separated by their status lines; whether the bottom
window has a status line is governed by the 'laststatus' option.)

To determine which buffers are currently known, you can use ":ls!". (Without
the exclamation mark, it hides the so-called "unlisted" buffers.) Some of them
may not be in memory: see ":help :ls" for the meaning of the codes in the left
margin of the list.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"The Lord gave us farmers two strong hands so we could grab as much as
we could with both of them."