>> It might work if you used :tabedit which edits a file in a new tab, rather
>> than
>> opening a new file in a tab, i.e.
>>
>> :bufdo tabedit
>
> Am afraid that has the same effect as :bufdo tabnew, but you gave me
> the correct answer in your very first reply.

Interesting. It seems to work properly for me. I wonder what is different about
your Vim/configuration. Not that it matters, since, as you say, the problem has
been solved.

And yes, I think most of us would agree that the distinction between windows
and
buffers and so on is indeed quite subtle and can be confusing, at least to
start
with (if not for a good while longer!).

Smiles,

Ben.