> The way it stands right now a user cannot
> prevent a plugin writer from overwriting their maps.

Yes they can, as detailed by a previous poster, using autocommands or after
scripts the user can have the last say.

There is also the solution most of us use for Emacs. The user can choose not to
install the plugin. Pretty much no matter how much effort is put in, people
will
still be able to write bad code, bad interfaces, etc., etc., and it's the
user's
choice whether they make use of it.

I think a <final> modifier to a map would just become a bit awkward figuring
out
what its scope should be, etc.: should it apply to all mappings, buffer-local
and
global? It could also just start making more problems, too...e.g. what if a
plugin
author (ab)used it? You'd end up with an almost indestructible plugin rather
than
allowing the user to have another say later as they can now, etc..

Ben.