Hello,

> No worries, but I'd argue that they are not solutions since
> they aren't currently working for me. I don't think the user
> should be penalised if a plugin writer doesn't check for
> existing mappings. The way it stands right now a user cannot
> prevent a plugin writer from overwriting their maps. I'd
> like to be able to define a map in my vimrc and not have it
> be unexpectedly redefined in certain buffers, similar to the
> may you might use use the `final' keyword in Java. Do you
> foresee any problems in allowing users to do this?

Maybe the community of active plugin developers should
consider a kind of "Plugin Writer's Codex" -- how should a
plugin behave.

Such a codex should be small and simple in order to not
shy away the casual plugin writer. But it should focus on
a few important points and it should be actively advertised
by the more "professional" authors.

One possible point could be:
  - a common way to make mappings optional

Maybe a second-level could be provided for those who
want to dive deeper into plugin writing:
  - use <Plug>
  - use <Leader>

Putting the burden on the user who has to take radical
actions to get a plugin to behave well is really not an
option for me. I think, with a high quality standard of the
"professional" plugins, which are not only single shots to
solve an immediate problem, the community would
benefit in general.

Just my 2ยข.

Sincerely
Meikel