>> Anyway, all this makes me wonder if we really should be basing the Git
>> repo on the SVN repo since not even Edward is satisfied with it.  I've
>> been thinking if it wouldn't be simpler to just apply the patches Bram
>> posts myself.  Did you consider this option Markus?
>
> Not really until now, because git-svn is just so comfortable. But I think with
> an appropriate script being based on the patchfiles should work similar
> comfortable.

I gave up on SVN ages ago--I would have loved to use it, but it's just
too messy. Now I apply patches. Below is the script I use to do it with
Mercurial, which may serve as a starting point for doing the same with
Git (or whatever); do what you like with it. It extracts the
descriptions from the patches and makes them the log messages. It does
one patch at a time (I just run it each time I see a patch on vim_dev)
and uses an empty or small file to keep track of the current patch
number. As such, before using the script, you need to do mkdir patches;
touch patches/000 (or the three digit number before the next patch you
want to apply) to initialise it. Must be run with the current directory
set to the root of the vim archive tree (i.e. not inside src), and it
expects Mercurial repository and itself (named nextpatch) to be there,
just as a safety measure. It doesn't deal with the runtime files
specially at all; only updates in the patches will get into them.

Ben.

#!/bin/bash
version=7.2
echo Checking directory
[ -f nextpatch -a -d .hg ] || exit 1
echo Updating to tip
hg update tip || exit 1
cd patches
patchnum=$(echo ???)
echo Getting patch number $patchnum
rm -f $version.$patchnum
wget ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/$version/$version.$patchnum || exit 1
echo Getting description
ed -s $version.$patchnum << END || exit 1
/^$/+1,/^\*\*\*/-1w $version.$patchnum.log
END
cd ..
echo Applying patch
patch -p0 < patches/$version.$patchnum || exit 1
echo Committing patch $patchnum
hg commit -A -l patches/$version.$patchnum.log || exit 1
echo Incrementing patch number
mv patches/$patchnum patches/$(printf %03d $(expr $patchnum + 1)) || exit 1
echo Done
exit 0