James Vega wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:53:15PM -0800, Tom Link wrote:
>
>> Maybe somebody has some use for this. I wrote a small ruby script that
>> allows the creation of vimballs (plain text or gzipped) from the
>> command line.
>>

> I'm still curious what purpose vimballs serve over a standard archive
> format like zip or tar.gz.  From a distribution perspective, all they've
> done is made my work harder when trying to include vim scripts in a
> package for a Linux distribution.

* they automatically enable help for any enclosed help files
* files go where they need to; they're not dependent on the user
changing to the appropriate directory first.
* one may uninstall the files extracted by a vimball  (:RmVimball
vimballname)
* the vimball itself requires no addtional tools beyond vim itself
(compression/decompression is another matter)

Regards,
Chip Campbell