On 03/03/09 13:12, Dennis Benzinger wrote:
> Hi Markus!
>
> Am 03.03.2009 11:14, Markus Heidelberg schrieb:
>> Dennis Benzinger, 03.03.2009:
>>> Hi!

>>> It would make the code smaller but compiling without multibyte support
>>> probably makes the resulting binary smaller. That can make a big
>>> difference for users on resource constrained systems.
>> What do you mean exactly with "resource constrained systems"?
>> On an old PC, Vim with multibyte should still run fast.
>> [...]
>
> I meant systems which have or can use only a small amount of memory. For
> example (16bit) MS-DOS where you can only use 640KB. These systems may
> be rare nowadays but if you'll encounter one you'd probably be happy to
> be able to minimize the size of the binary. But I didn't try it out how
> much the size differs between a multibyte and a non-multibyte build.
> Therefore I wrote "_probably_ makes the resulting binary smaller" ;-)
>
> So if ripping out non-multibyte support does not make the code much
> simpler or smaller I'd simply keep it. Do you have any idea much simpler
> or smaller the code would be?
>

> Dennis Benzinger

I did try:
- vim (gvim with all bells and whistles except +mzscheme) 3370388 bytes.
- vi (vim with minimal features) 508048 bytes
6.63 times smaller

Both compiled on the same Linux-i686 system with the same 7.2.130
sources (but different config options), and both binaries "stripped" of
their debug info. The difference consists not only of +multi_byte but of
everything which I knew how to enable/disable at compile-time. These are
32-bit binaries; I suspect 16-bit builds would be smaller -- hopefully
they would, because 508k is still big for a Dos machine without Extended
Memory.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Remember, UNIX spelled backwards is XINU.