On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Mike Williams wrote:

> Matt Wozniski wrote:
>> This sounds like a very good idea to me.  I don't know of any other
>> programs that allow you to change encoding used internally, and we
>> would be in good company if we chose to always use a unicode encoding
>> internally: Java uses UTF-16 internally, and I believe python does as
>> well.  Is there any time when it would be desirable to use a
>> non-unicode 'encoding' (assuming, of course, that +multi_byte is
>> available)?  I can't think of any.
>
> Yes, editing very large (say a few 100MB) data files that in a single
> byte encoding.  For my day job I regularly enjoy having to spelunk my
> way around large files containing a mix of readable ASCII and binary
> data.  Using a Unicode encoding could make this prohibitive.  Yes, this
> is essentially a raw file edit mode, perhaps that should be an option -
> or would it be part of setting binary mode?

How would using Unicode for 'enc' in any way affect this?  Sure, you'd
want to use a single-byte 'fenc', but no one is suggesting that the
'fenc' option should be removed.  If there is a reason why editing
binary files should be affected at all by what encoding the editor
uses for storing the buffer text internally, I don't see it and you'll
need to elaborate.

~Matt