Hi everybody,

> I don't know how large integers are in zOS (with EBCDIC), I
> guess large
> enough, since this is a Unix-like OS (but not Linux) for IBM
> mainframes,

zOS has 32 bits and 64 bits integers. It never really had
16bits integers (back from 1964 or 1965). You could use them,
but the hardware registers have always
been 32 bits long, so the related 16bits hardware instructions
just blanked out the leftmost part of the said registers.

zOS itself is NOT Unix like, but the underlying architecture
can support Linux as well. I think we are speaking here of the
mainframe part of zOS, which can support a kind of Unix, more
or less in the same way Cygwin is supported under Windows.

Cheers, Antonio
--
   /||\    |      Antonio Colombo
  / || \   | anto...@geekcorp.com