I am currently working on three OSes at the same time: Win32, Linux
and Mac OS/X - and I am using the same vimrc settings on all three.
Mostly the same, anyway.

One area which causes problems is font handling.  All three systems
(GTK2 on Linux) have very similar font handling, but not similar
enough to be easy to make work on all at once.

":help setting-guifont" illustrates this problem.  Why not use the
same fontspec on Win32, GTK and Mac OS/X?  I propose that the spec:

   set guifont=Luxi_Mono:h13

be the 'canonical' font format for these systems; then only GTK2
support needs to be modified.  If the font isn't found, then
substitute spaces for the underscores and try again.  It would make
cross-platform vimrc files much easier to maintain.

Further, it would be helpful to have a "getfontsize()" function to
parallel "getfontname()".  It would return the current font size being
used.  Currently, the "getfontname()" will not also return font size
if e.g. "set gfn=Courier" is set (then "Courier" is returned, not
"Courier:h12" or whatever).

Also: "getfontname()" doesn't always work (Mac OS/X, anyway).  After
my gvim has started, "getfontname()" returns an empty string.

It would also be "really nice" to allow a per-window font.  That is,
make 'gfn' a window-specific setting.  That might not be too hard, but
I don't know if Bram will agree to it.

That's all for now :)