On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 2:57 AM, George V. Reilly wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Ron Aaron wrote:
>>
>> I am currently working on three OSes at the same time: Win32, Linux
>> and Mac OS/X - and I am using the same vimrc settings on all three.
>> Mostly the same, anyway.
>>
>> One area which causes problems is font handling.  All three systems
>> (GTK2 on Linux) have very similar font handling, but not similar
>> enough to be easy to make work on all at once.
>>
>> ":help setting-guifont" illustrates this problem.  Why not use the
>> same fontspec on Win32, GTK and Mac OS/X?  I propose that the spec:
>>
>>   set guifont=Luxi_Mono:h13
>>
>> be the 'canonical' font format for these systems; then only GTK2
>> support needs to be modified.  If the font isn't found, then
>> substitute spaces for the underscores and try again.  It would make
>> cross-platform vimrc files much easier to maintain.

But :h13 is only supported for win32, right?  And what about the
X11-motif gui, the photon gui, the athena gui?

>> Further, it would be helpful to have a "getfontsize()" function to
>> parallel "getfontname()".  It would return the current font size being
>> used.  Currently, the "getfontname()" will not also return font size
>> if e.g. "set gfn=Courier" is set (then "Courier" is returned, not
>> "Courier:h12" or whatever).
>>
>> Also: "getfontname()" doesn't always work (Mac OS/X, anyway).  After
>> my gvim has started, "getfontname()" returns an empty string.
>>
>> It would also be "really nice" to allow a per-window font.  That is,
>> make 'gfn' a window-specific setting.  That might not be too hard, but
>> I don't know if Bram will agree to it.
>
> If you had Courier:h12 in one window and Monaco:h15 in another, how
> would you reconcile the two grids?

This wouldn't even be possible without changing the fact that vim's
GUIs really just provide a kind of terminal emulator to run vim
functionality in.

> On a related note, it would be nice if it were possible to supply a
> set of alternatives to guifont, as in CSS. GVim would work its way
> down the list until it found one that was present on the system; e.g.,
>
> :set
> guifont=Consolas:h12,Monaco:h12,Andale_Mono:h13,Lucida_Console,Courier:h13

That exact example should work, shouldn't it?

> And then maybe the Vim-supplied fallback value of guifont could be
> changed to something pleasanter, especially on Windows, to, say
> Consolas,Lucida Console,Terminal.

Might be a reasonable change for the default systemwide vimrc?

~Matt