On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 8:30 AM, ZyX <zyx....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trying to make an abbreviation using
>    iabbrev <sc test
>    iabbrev <lt>sc test
>    iabbrev \<sc test
>    iabbrev <lt><Char-115>c test
>    iabbrev <script> <lt>sc test
>    set cpoptions-=<
>    iabbrev <sc test
>    iabbrev <script> <sc test
>    iabbrev <special> <lt>sc test
> Results in
>    E474: Invalid argument
> at least on empty file. Strange, but it succeeds if I open a help window and
> define this abbreviation while being in it, though this abbreviation works
> only
> in help window.

The abbreviation doesn't work in an empty buffer because "<sc" is not a
valid abbreviation format.  Paraphrasing from ":help abbreviations",
there are three valid formats.

1) full-id - All characters in the abbr are listed in the 'iskeyword' option
2) end-id - Only the last character in the abbr is listed in the
   'iskeyword' option
3) non-id - Only the last character in the abbr is not listed in the
   'iskeyword' option

By default, the "<" character is not a keyword character, where as "<"
is included in 'iskeyword' for help buffers.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <james...@jamessan.com>