>     iabbrev <lt><Char-115>c test
>     iabbrev <script> <lt>sc test
>     set cpoptions-=<
>     iabbrev <sc test
>     iabbrev <script> <sc test
>     iabbrev <special> <lt>sc test
> Results in
>     E474: Invalid argument
> at least on empty file. Strange, but it succeeds if I open a help window and
> define this abbreviation while being in it, though this abbreviation works
> only
> in help window.
>
> Tested on vim-7.2.303, vim-7.2.444, vim-7.3a. Behavior in help window tested
> only on vim-7.2.303.

Most likely has something to do with keyword characters, since
'iskeyword' has a different value in help files.

It also helps if you pinpoint the line that causes the error, it should
be mentioned if you source a script with these lines.

250. You've given up the search for the "perfect woman" and instead,
     sit in front of the PC until you're just too tired to care.