On Mon, 7 Mar 2011, Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 02:43:23PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
First problem is to actually detect what key was pressed, in most terminal emulators this is not possible. In the GUI we can. Changing terminal emulators to support this and making this work with Vim is a separate issue, I'll not go into that here.

Changing terminal emulators is a done task; xterm has supported this since 2008. In fact I asked Thomas Dickey to clarify this for me, and he informs me it's all present and working.

Despite its popularity, xterm is not "most terminal emulators". I think this is a great move on xterm's part (having a more-or-less consistent set of escapes for modifiers). But, it's still a chicken-and-egg problem. Once it's in xterm, it takes a while (if ever) to filter down to derivatives. And even under xterm the setting that allows this to work isn't the default.

I almost didn't send this, since I don't think the lack of terminal support should be a show stopper (If any terminal supports it, Vim should use that support), but claiming that it's a done deal because xterm added a feature to support it a few years ago is naïve.

--
Best,
Ben