On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:43:56 PM UTC-6, glts wrote:
> While investigating an item on the todo list, I found out that the
>
> behaviour of :normal[!] in operator-pending mode is not well-defined: it
>
> is not documented and is not taken special care of in the source.
>

> Consider the following text with the cursor on the first "m":
>

>     summer
>
>       ^
>

> Then consider these commands and the results:
>

>     gUe                         suMMER
>
>     :norm! gUe<CR>              suMMER
>
>     gU:norm! e<CR>              suMMEr

I'm not sure if this is documented (I couldn't find it mentioned explicitly)
but if I recall correctly, any : command in operator-pending mode acts as an
exclusive motion. You can force it to be inclusive using v before the : in your
command. See:

  :help inclusive
  :help o_v

>     gUiw                        SUMMER
>     :norm! gUiw<CR>             SUMMER
>     gU:norm! iw<CR>             suwmmer
>
> For gU as for all operators the behaviour is strange and inconsistent.

I don't see anything wrong here. From normal mode, "iw" does not mean "select
the inner word", it means "insert a w character". In operator-pending mode
you're just trying to move the cursor, not do insertions. If you want the last
one to work you should have done something that in normal mode would move the
cursor without side effects, such as viw, not something that only inserts text
and doesn't move the cursor.