Hi,

I have recently learnt of a patch that was submitted to the list almost
five years ago. Please see here:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/lR5rONDwgs8/iLsVCrxo_WsJ

The reception was positive but for some reason the discussion was
abandoned. I would like to reopen the discussion. I'd be very interested
in this feature and happy if the patch could eventually be included.

As for the name of the variable, how about:

    v:motiontype

The documentation says that when no motion type is given the variable
will be empty, when an explicit motion type is given ("forced") it will
be "v", "V", or "<C-V>". I don't think the word "force" is strictly
required to make the intent of the variable clear.

As for the underscore, the majority of v: variables with compound names
don't have it and I think this short name would look nice next to the
other variables which are relevant in this context:

    v:register v:count v:count1 v:prevcount v:operator v:motiontype

What do you think?

--
David Bürgin