On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM, glts <676c7...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently learnt of a patch that was submitted to the list almost
> five years ago. Please see here:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/lR5rONDwgs8/iLsVCrxo_WsJ
>
> The reception was positive but for some reason the discussion was
> abandoned. I would like to reopen the discussion. I'd be very interested
> in this feature and happy if the patch could eventually be included.
>
> As for the name of the variable, how about:
>
>     v:motiontype
>
> The documentation says that when no motion type is given the variable
> will be empty, when an explicit motion type is given ("forced") it will
> be "v", "V", or "<C-V>". I don't think the word "force" is strictly
> required to make the intent of the variable clear.
>
> As for the underscore, the majority of v: variables with compound names
> don't have it and I think this short name would look nice next to the
> other variables which are relevant in this context:
>
>     v:register v:count v:count1 v:prevcount v:operator v:motiontype
>
> What do you think?

If we could settle on a name for the variable, I would be happy to
update the patch and write a test. This is a low-risk patch unlikely to
cause any trouble, neither in 7.3 nor in 7.4.

Please make your opinion heard if you haven't already.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/lR5rONDwgs8/iLsVCrxo_WsJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/MNtX3jHkNWw/bhL-o6TlKtgJ