Ingo,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 8:58 PM, Ingo Karkat <sw...@ingo-karkat.de> wrote:
> On 18-Apr-2013 16:16 +0200, glts wrote:
>> As for the name of the variable, how about:
>>
>>     v:motiontype
>>
>> The documentation says that when no motion type is given the variable
>> will be empty, when an explicit motion type is given ("forced") it will
>> be "v", "V", or "<C-V>". I don't think the word "force" is strictly
>> required to make the intent of the variable clear.
>
> With v:motiontype, I'd expect that to be applicable to _every_ motion,
> not just those few special ones. I would prefer v:forcedmotiontype. The
> only saving grace for this unreadable monster is that it's probably not
> going to be used very much.

I don't care too much about the name, to be frank. In the end it's
mostly a matter of taste.

But let me rephrase my argument in favour of v:motiontype. The docs say
that the variable is empty when no motion type is given. Empty
essentially means "use the default motion type". "v/V/<C-V>" means
"override the default motion type with X-wise motion". So in any case
the variable asserts something about the type of motion.

Let's go with whatever people find prettiest, I'm fine with any name.

>> What do you think?
>
> I'm missing a bit where such a variable would be useful or even
> necessary. A compelling example could avoid that we have to wait another
> five years for inclusion :-)

To be honest, "motion force" isn't something I use daily. Every once in
a while I find my cursor sitting in a sweet spot and immediately see
that dvj would finish the job, or dV{, or cvit. My concern is to allow
custom text objects and motions to have the same capabilities as the
built-in text objects and motions.

Here's a good real-life example.

The textobj-word-column.vim plugin lets you select a column (Visual
block) of words/WORDs based on the word/WORD under the cursor. If
v:motiontype were available, the plugin could let you do, for example,
yVac (yank linewise a word-column), basically allowing you to yank a
range of lines which have a vertical component in common, so to speak.
See? Well, I think that is very useful.