On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 7:29:58 PM UTC+3, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Ramel Eshed wrote:

> > > Not sure if there is anything to improve.  Would require finding out why
> > > it's slower and whether that can be fixed.
> > >
> > > You could add channel log commands in the code in various places to see
> > > what happens.
> >
> > My problem is not with the channel, the problem is that system() is
> > slower than the equivalent job_start(). You can run and compare the
> > results of Job() and System() functions in the attached file. They are
> > both doing the same thing ('echo aaa') but System() is ~5 times slower
> > than Job() on Ubuntu and x10 slower on RHEL5.5. On RHEL System() is
> > extremely slow, it takes about 0.2 seconds which cause Vim to hang.
>
> I understand that.  The ch_log() and other functions cn be used anywhere
> in the Vim code.  That is in the C code, not script.  So it requires
> adding the log calls in several places in and around the system()
> implementation to find out where it spends time.  This requires building
> Vim from the modified source.
>
> --
> 91. It's Saturday afternoon in the middle of May and you
>     are on computer.
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- b...@moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
> ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
> \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
>  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

It looks like the delay is coming from the mch_delay(10L, TRUE) call inside the
for loop starting at line 4936 in os_unix.c:

                /*
                 * Similar to the loop above, but only handle X events, no
                 * I/O.
                 */
                for (;;)
                {
                    if (got_int)
                    {
                        /* CTRL-C sends a signal to the child, we ignore it
                         * ourselves */
#  ifdef HAVE_SETSID
                        kill(-pid, SIGINT);
#  else
                        kill(0, SIGINT);
#  endif
                        got_int = FALSE;
                    }
# ifdef __NeXT__
                    wait_pid = wait4(pid, &status, WNOHANG, (struct rusage *)0);
# else
                    wait_pid = waitpid(pid, &status, WNOHANG);
# endif
                    if ((wait_pid == (pid_t)-1 && errno == ECHILD)
                            || (wait_pid == pid && WIFEXITED(status)))
                    {
                        wait_pid = pid;
                        break;
                    }

                    /* Handle any X events, e.g. serving the clipboard. */
                    clip_update();

                    mch_delay(10L, TRUE);
                }