On Sat, 5 Aug 2017, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

I assume what follows is not specific for the current window but something global.

Christian wrote:

I know ^W: exists, but I can't think of any good way to detect whether I should be sending that instead (under Windows, --remote-expr "&buftype" only gives me an error window from the running vim instance and fails to return anything, which doesn't look like correct behavior).

I think my parenthetical statement here should have been a separate bug report. Basically, --remote-expr doesn't seem to work properly under Windows right now. It shows the result in an error dialog, and fails to return that result to the "vim --remote-expr ..." command instance.

It does work for me in other OSes (and under Cygwin).

I don't know how long this has been an issue since I so rarely need to use --remote-expr.

With your remote command you most likely don't want to change the mode in the terminal window. So we would support only one Normal mode command. Would that work? Or do you expect to be in Normal mode, where a sequence of commands can be used?

I send the ^\^N each time since it's not safe to assume that the remote Vim instance is in normal mode, so executing one normal mode command and returning to the previous mode is not a problem for me, and I think closer to what users would expect for a terminal window.

We can start by making CTRL-\ CTRL-N work as a prefix for one Normal
mode command.

I have tested the patch and I can confirm it solves my use case problem.

Thank you.

- Christian

--
Christian J. Robinson <hept...@gmail.com>
A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.