Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Sa, 05 Aug 2017, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>

> > Christian Brabandt wrote:

> > > How does it work for other modes? Use whatever makes it consistent.
> >
> > What do you mean?  From Normal mode you can also use ":" commands.
> > Insert mode is not relevant.  You can also start Visual mode, but that
> > doesn't work yet...
>
> What I mean is when in Insert Mode and pressing CTRL-\ CTRL-N we can
> enter a normal mode command. In what mode is Vim afterwards? It is back
> in insert mode, isn't it? And that's why I think it should behave the
> same for the terminal.

CTRL-\ CTRL-N takes you to Normal mode, no matter what mode you were in.
And it stays there.

I first thought it would be non-interruptive, as the question for using
this with remote-sendkeys suggested.  But it actually is interruptive:
If you were in Insert mode it does not return there.  If you were typing
a command line that is aborted.  So there actually is no need for not
being interruptive in the terminal as well.

We could add a way to "return to the previous mode", but it would not
work well.  E.g. returning to Insert mode at least splits undo, and
possibly the cursor has moved. For the command line it's getting even
more complicated.  So let's not try.

--
TIM: To the north there lies a cave,  the cave of Caerbannog, wherein, carved
     in mystic runes, upon the very living rock, the last words of Olfin