On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net> wrote:

> Christian wrote:
>
>> On Fr, 18 Mai 2018, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>>
>> > Oh, but that is long ago. Why didn't anybody complain that this didn't
>> > work?  Everybody using the github version would have run into this
>> > problem.
>> >
>> > I wonder if there are any other changes that got rolled back.
>>
>> When you rolled back netrw, Vim was already at version 8.0.1390, so that
>> check
>> ,----
>> |     if v:version < 704 || !has("patch213")
>> `----
>>
>> still returned true. However with Release 8.1, the check for patch 213
>> did start failing again.
>
> Ah, of course, patch213 existed in 8.0 by then, and nobody noticed the
> check was actually wrong.  I should not try to figure this out late at
> night...
>
> We should not have that kind of check, since it leads to problems like
> this.  I'll update the help for it.

The correct check is of course similar to what is already shown under
":help has-patch"; with the opposite truth logic it becomes

    if version < 704 || (v:version == 704 && !has(patch213))

using "version" without v: in the first test to account for very old
Vim versions which did not yet know about v:version with the v:

Or, to keep the form used at |has-patch|,

    if ! (version > 704 || (version == 704 && has(patch213)))

but in this case very old versions would still test both sides of the
||, even with short-circuit evaluation.

> --
> A disclaimer for the disclaimer:
> "and before I get a huge amount of complaints , I have no control over the
> disclaimer at the end of this mail :-)" (Timothy Aldrich)
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- b...@moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
> ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
> \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
>  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///