On 22 July 2010 20:48, Benjamin Cullen-Kerney wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:26 AM, björn wrote:
>>
>> There is one problem with this patch tough and that is it seems to be
>> for 10.5+ (according to [1]) and I am trying to keep MacVim working on
>> 10.4.  What would happen if somebody on 10.4 tried to use this patch?
>> Would MacVim start at all?  Is it possible to fix the patch so that it
>> adds this functionality for 10.4?  (As long as it runs on 10.4 I am
>> happy, but it would be nice if we could support it properly.)
>>
>> Björn
>>
>> [1]
>> http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ScriptableCocoaApplications/SApps_creating_sdef/SAppsCreateSdef.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001979-BBCBCIJE
>>

> Interesting. My read of that page is that the .sdef method is valid
> 10.4+, but on prior versions you must use the old suite/terminology
> method:
>
> "If your scriptable application will run in versions of the Mac OS
> prior to version 10.4, it must supply scriptability information in
> script suite and script terminology files."
>
> The mention of 10.5 is regarding "additional refinements" to sdef.

The part I was referring to was slightly further down:

"Important: As noted previously, starting in Mac OS X v10.5, the file
CocoaStandard.sdef in the location
/System/Library/ScriptingDefinitions provides an sdef for Cocoa’s
Standard suite, and you can use an xinclude statement to include it
into your application’s sdef file. For more information, see the
Scripting section of Foundation Release Notes."

I'm guessing the sdef file is not available on 10.4.  The question is
whether it matters or not (i.e. whether MacVim will not start/give a
warning/... if this file is missing, I guess that should be easy to
test by temporarily renaming it...didn't think of that earlier)?

> It looks like my version of GCC is incompatible with the 10.4 SDK, so
> I'm unable to build and test. Are you able to produce a 10.4 binary? I
> believe that I can hunt down a 10.4 machine if so.

I should be, but it's a bit of a pain.  If you can test the patch by
renaming the sdef as I suggested above and let me know how it goes I'd
be grateful.  If that works it should be safe on 10.4.

Björn