Hi there.

I've already googled this topic quite a bit, but I haven't really
found much definitive information, so I figured I'd ask here. If I'm
asking this in the wrong place, just point me in the right direction.

I recently switched to Vim, I've been using Vim 7.3 (compiled from
source) in iTerm2 and MacVim (snapshot 57) on my MacBook Pro (running
10.6.6). In both I'm having trouble with mappings to the alt and
command keys.

Vim:

With Vim in the terminal, mappings to <A-something> <M-something> and
<D-something> do not work.

MacVim:

<D-something> works fine.
If macmeta is off then <A-something> and <M-something> do not work.
If macmeta is on then <M-something> works, at the expense of losing
mappings to some characters (and having to remap them)

I live in England, my keyboard layout is for GB.

So I guess my question is:

How can I write mappings for the alt and command keys so that they
will be recognised in Vim and MacVim? It would probably be enough if
just one of them worked....