I've just discovered that mapping to the alt character output works
for both Vim and MacVim on my system so for instance:

:imap ≥ =>

works in place of :imap <A-.> =>

Strangely shift-return in terminal doesn't map this way but aside from
that seems that everything else behaves the same across Vims.
This solves my immediate issue, I'd still be interested to hear the
low-down on what's actually going on.