On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 04:08:26PM EST, Charles Campbell wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:

Hello Charles,

> > I tried it with a fairly large tree called ~/tarballs and it took
> > over a minute, with Vim flying at 100% CPU. There was a message to
> > the effect that it was indexing/caching the nodes or something. Now
> > the weird thing is that in another test, my home directory, which
> > contains the tarballs tree only took 3-4 seconds - go figure.
> >
> > Actually I did the same test again with another instance of Vim,
> > naturally, in order to take a closer look at the message, same
> > tarballs directory and this time it only took about two seconds.
> >
> > So it looks as if there are glitches when it takes forever, and
> > normal circumstances where it takes somwhere between 3-5 seconds to
> > load a directory, why is too slow to my taste.
> >
> > I'll try to run tests again when I have more time.

> Would you try this with netrw?

Shoot.. :-(

I mean.. I meant to mention in my post about having no such problem with
netrw and one thing leading to another.. I just forgot.

Speculating that there might be a problem with NERDTree.vim, either when
it runs into a particular directory setup, or possibly some vim option
I have set that slows it down to a crawl, or some clash with another
plugin... etc.

> Since you seem to like tree mode, put
>
> let g:netrw_liststyle= 3
>
> in your .vimrc.  In a directory of mine with 245 files: (and loading all
> my usual plugins, etc)
>
> time gvim . -c "q"
> real    0m0.22s
> user    0m0.17s
> sys     0m0.02s

Sure, don't have the time right now but the test I ran was just a couple
of directories accessed via:

$ cd ~/a/large/directory/tree
$ vim .
$ cd ~/another/large/directory