> I take that to mean that C/C++ extensions are not an option.
>
> One obvious downside with general-purpose scripting languages is that
> you would need Python, etc. installed to use such plugins. Not a problem
> in my case, since I have admin authority to this machine, but are there
> other issues, maybe in terms of integration, both with Vim and other
> plugins?

Well, the only problem is that interpreter support should be compiled
into Vim so in the worst case scenario you end up compiling both Vim
and, say, Python.

BTW I can't believe that a plugin should use enormous resources just
to display directory listing even if it uses VimL. Something must be
wrong.

--
Sergey Khorev
http://sites.google.com/site/khorser