On Apr 12, 5:49 am, Steve <dl...@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> The only thing with which I have problem is the
> movement keys, hjkl. I'm so used to the arrow keys that I get cramps in
> my fingers when putting them on those hjkl keys (and I'm not that
> old :-)).

I probably use hjkl more than I realize, and I KNOW I use j and k too
much to go up/down lines, but in general I avoid h and l just because
there are many more efficient ways to move around. For example, I
mostly use the following depending on where I want to place the cursor
(approximately in order from most frequent to least):

* w, W, b, B , e, and E
* _ and g_ (I use Dvorak and these are easier to reach than ^ and $
which do mostly the same thing, but note subtle differences)
* f, F, t, T, ';', and ','
* [[ and ]]
* %
* CTRL-D and CTRL-U
* { and }

And of course, searches, where appropriate: *, #, gd, gD, n, N, and
the old stand-bys / and ?. But I don't consider these part of my
"normal" cursor movement commands.

See the :help for any of these, for example ":help ;" for what they
do. They are all normal-mode commands.