On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 11:35 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 5:17:33 AM UTC-5, Gabriele wrote:
>> On 10/10/2016 17.42, Ben Fritz wrote:
>> > To detect this automatically, be sure that you have "set
>> > encoding=utf-8", "setglobal bomb", and "set
>> > fileencodings=ucs-bomb,utf-8,latin1" or similar in your .vimrc.
>> > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode
>>
>> Can you tell me if you intentionally used "setglobal" for "bomb", or you
>> just copied what's in that wiki?
>> On my system the global bomb setting is not used if I don't also add
>> "setlocal bomb<" or "set bomb<".
>>
>> It is likely that on that wiki "setglobal" was used just by chance,
>> because that's what was used for fileencoding, see
>> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode?diff=29876&oldid=29794 .
>>

> I'm sure I intentionally used "setglobal bomb". When I experiment with "gvim
> -N -u NONE -i NONE" and then ":set encoding=utf-8" and ":setglobal bomb", any
> new buffer I create *after* this via ":new" will automatically get 'bomb'
> set. If I omit the ":setglobal bomb" then new buffers do NOT get 'bomb' set
> by default.
>
> Note that the initial buffer created on Vim startup will not have 'bomb' set
> from the setglobal command. If you need that first buffer to also have 'bomb'
> set then yes, you will need a setlocal or set command as well.

I also use "setglobal bomb", intentionally, in my vimrc; but beware
that not all programs, and in particular (on Unix/Linux) not the
script loader (y'know, whatever it is that recognises the #! shebang
at the start of a script) will recognize (and discard) 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF
(i.e., a UTF-8 BOM) at the start of a supposedly ASCII script — so
shell scripts (probably among others) need "setlocal nobomb" done
either manually or in a filetype-plugin (in an after-plugin since the
default $VIMRUNTIME/ftplugin/sh.vim doesn't set it).

Best regards,
Tony.