On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 8:08:50 AM UTC-6, Pizzaboy192 wrote:

> It appears my Mac Classic internal floppy drive has perished (don't blame
> it from it sitting outside for years). I would like to replace it so I can
> use this system again.

Often the mechanism on these old drives lock up because the lubricant turns
to varnish.   If you cannot insert a disk because the mechanism does not
accept it (things don't go sprung in the right places) try removing the
drive and clean all the sliding metal parts on the two sides with alcohol
until the old residue is removed.   Stay away from teh head mechanism
inside the drive.  People have bent things messing with those.   Oh, you
can touch them if you know what you're doing, just don't go after them
wihtout finding some good explicit instructions first.

Second, if you try to install a manual-inject drive instead of the older
auto-inject drive, I'm pretty sure you need to change the floppy cable,
otherwise the drive will go into a mode where it constantly ejects.  I may
be misremembering, but there was an issue wtih floppy cables with red
stripes and floppy cables with yellow stripes.

Jeff Walther

---
"Vintage Macs" group.
to vintage-macs+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.