From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of asad ishaque
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:19 PM
To: vintagvw@lists.sjsu.edu
Subject: [vintagvw] Aftermarket gauges choice.

Guys,

   Today I spent some time roaming around the local spare parts market. I am
considering buying some aftermarket gauges to mount along with an tachometer I
got a while back and a type 3 VDO clock in a custom made console for the 68
bug. The usual shopkeeper was not present or he would have guided me well in
detail. The assistant just showed me the boxes. He thought I was from some
company as I was showing so much interest in the specs!

   I had the choice of VDO gauges (all made in Italy), Chinese brands and
Taiwan made stuff.

I copied some info off the VDO boxes:

Oil pressure: 0 to 100 psi/kgcm2

Temp: 130-280F

Voltmeter: 8-18 Volts

   Questions: Would the above ranges be suitable for a VW bug??

          Is it prudent to have a custom made T plumbing to accomodate the
original oil pressure switch, sender for oil pressure and oil temperature in
the original oil pressure switch location??

    Im quite sure we have had discussions on this topic before but Ive gone
grey Im afraid. Any input in what to choose would be most welcome.

TIA
Asad.