From: Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Air-Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List
<vintagvw@lists.sjsu.edu>
Sent: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 5:08 pm
Subject: Re: [vintagvw] 1600cc Single Port

Greg,

I still use a 009 distributor with the H30/31 carbed 1600cc engine that came on
my '65 convertible since it does not have the off-idle hesitation.  However, I
removed the 009 that came with my 1500cc 30-Pic-1 carb equipped enginge on my
'67 Ghia.  I replaced the 009 with a stock distributor and the hesitation
almost

disappeared.  There is one other thing thing that contributed to the hesitation
on my Ghia (see below).

Someone else has already described the importance of ensuring the preheat tubes
on the intake manifold are clear (not blocked).  As you know, the end of the
preheater tubes are bolted to flanges on the exhaust.  If you are using an
aftermarket muffler, look into the flanged hole to verify that a hole was
drilled into the exhaust pipe.  I removed the aftermarket muffler from the Ghia
to find that the hole was not drilled; therefore, no heat was transferred into
the preheat tube.  I'm not sure why they'd go through the trouble to weld the
flange on the exhaust and NOT drill a hole into the pipe!

Good Luck!
Brian