NQ,

Forget the clutch tube part...much easier to go hydraulic...save yourself
the time and energy of matching it and then making a cable as well.

I too think they are a little to small to be usefull....would 12-18"
really make that much difference?

How about using two pans to make one that is longer...no pieces to match,
just make sure you cut them in the right place so that they mate up.
If you do itthat way, you might get more than 18" and would have
everything "matching"

You are probably going to want to use something stronger than stock
for the shift rod since it would be better to have a single piece
that wouldn't try to sag in the middle so much as two pieces welded
together.

Sure you don't want to just by a bay window?  My 78 handles 4x8 plywood
just fine with the spare tire out.

BTW, congrats on getting married, you lucky guy!

Cheers, dave